The back to school dreams started about a week ago as I was preparing to help equip 40 Link Leaders for Freshmen Orientation. I’m so excited to be working with this group of students… they know what it means to lead by example.
Orientation was a success due to their hard work and I’m confident that Ionia High School Class of 2021 is in good hands! Now, to prepare for an equally important event: The First Day of School!
On September 23rd, I plan to:
- Greet my students at the door with a high five or fist bump.
- Have students create Name Tents and use these 5 Questions with feedback.
- Engage students in a Dot Talk to model classroom discourse.
- Create a first experience with teamwork in Geometry using Let’s Make Squares! and in Algebra 2 using loops of string to create 2D and 3D figures… and take pictures!
- Introduce AP Statistics students to the logic of inference using a real study and simulation.
- Create classroom norms using these two prompts from Jo Boaler at youcubed:
- Reflect on the things you do not like people to say and do when you are working on math in a group.
- Reflect on the things you do like people to say and do when you are working on math in a group.
- Show the video on Strategies for Learning Mathematics at youcubed. Close class by having students reflect on when we used the various strategies during the first day of school.
I’m excited just thinking about the first day of school!